MENU

Shed owner starts blaze trying to get rid of bees

7.17.17Burton FD_Shed Fire Bees Nest_071617.jpg
The shed was in the process of being torn down. The homeowner told fire investigators that he encountered a bee’s nest and attempted to clear them by flicking cigarettes at the nest which started the fire (Credit: Burton Fire Dept.)

The Burton Fire District was dispatched to a report of a house fire on Pine Grove Road late Sunday morning in what turned out to be a shed fire that was endangering a nearby home.

When firefighters arrived at around 11:30 a.m. they found a medium sized shed, less than 30 feet from a home, fully involved in flames, according to a news release.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire before any damage was done to the home. No injuries were reported.

The shed was in the process of being torn down. The homeowner told fire investigators that he encountered a bee hive and attempted to clear them by flicking cigarettes at the hive, which started the fire.

Firefighters had to close a section of Pine Grove Road to extinguish the fire.

Fire officials are warning drivers not to disregard traffic cones at such emergency scenes as by doing so damages equipment and endangers emergency workers.