MENU

Mattis says no US losses in Syria strikes

Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 22.24.40.png
Photo: CNN Newsource

WASHINGTON (AP) —Defense Secretary James Mattis says the U.S. has no reports of suffering any losses during the initial airstrikes on Syria Friday.

Mattis says "right now this is a one-time shot" but is not ruling out further attacks. President Donald Trump had said earlier that the campaign against the regime of Bashar Assad could be "sustained."

The defense secretary says the airstrikes were launched against several sites that he says helped provide Assad's ability to create chemical weapons. Mattis says the Syrian government used chemical weapons on its own people last week.

Mattis says the Pentagon will provide more information on the attack Saturday.

__

10:10 p.m.

Defense Secretary James Mattis says the U.S. has no reports of suffering any losses during the initial airstrikes on Syria Friday.

Mattis says "right now this is a one-time shot" but is not ruling out further attacks. President Donald Trump had said earlier that the campaign against the regime of Bashar Assad could be "sustained."

The defense secretary says the airstrikes were launched against several sites that he says helped provide Assad's ability to create chemical weapons. Mattis says the Syrian government used chemical weapons on its own people last week.

Mattis says the Pentagon will provide more information on the attack Saturday.

__

10:10 p.m.

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis says military strikes in Syria are "directed at the Syrian regime" and they have "gone to great lengths to avoid civilians and foreign casualties."

Mattis spoke Friday night after President Donald Trump announced that the U.S., France and Britain launched military strikes on Syria to punish President Bashar Assad for his alleged use of chemical weapons against civilians and to deter him from doing it again.

Mattis is asking that "responsible nations" join in condemning the Assad regime.

__

10 p.m.

Defense Secretary James Mattis says the U.S. and its allies have taken "decisive action" against Syrian chemical weapons infrastructure.

Mattis briefed reporters at the Pentagon Friday an hour after President Donald Trump announced the strike.

Mattis says the United States, along with France and the United Kingdom, struck because Syrian President Bashar Assad "did not get the message" when the U.S. launched airstrikes after a chemical attack in 2017.

The defense secretary says Friday's strikes have "sent a clear message" to Assad and his "murderous lieutenants