Crazy Crab Restaurant in Hilton Head catches fire during lunch prep

Restaurant damage (Hilton Head Island Fire Rescue)

Hilton Head Island Fire Rescue responded to a structure fire Wednesday at 9:36 a.m. at the Crazy Crab Restaurant at 104 William Hilton Parkway.

Four engine companies, the truck company, two medic units, the Battalion Chief and other staff officers responded to the fire, according to a news release.

The fire is said to have started accidentally while employees were preparing for the lunch hour. According to the release, a pot on the range caught fire and when an employee moved the pan to the sink and turned on the cold water, the fire flashed and caused other items to catch fire.

The fire then spread into the attic above the kitchen, damaging both areas. There is also significant water damage to the entire restaurant, according to the release.

An estimate of dollars lost is not yet available.

Approximately 10 employees were in the restaurant at the time of the fire. They were all evacuated and only the employee that moved the pot had some minor injuries. That employee was taken to the hospital for treatment, according to the release.

The fire was deemed under control by 11:28 a.m.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending